Since I was a kid, I would read anything that end up near my hands. Old newspapers, magazines, medical books, mechanical engineer manuals, old enciclopedias, everything.
So I keep doing this as a matter of fact, i click and go to places in the metaverse that most people have never been or would not even venture there. For me it became obvious that I can read anything I want, most sites, even those closed have always a way to get in, a promotion, a special key, a partnership that exposes their content and a lot of them have RSS feeds that is easy to bring into your own site.
While I was doing this during my moments of rest from work, I have the 24/7 video feed from the Political Conventions to watch. First the Republican and now the Democrat. Think of this, two full weeks of so many speeches, so many concepts to dig on. It is like having a kid in a candy store.
Then it hit me that almost all of them, both sides seem to be totally disconnected from the real world, their assumptions and what they believed to be truth were totally far away from what the rest of Americans and the rest of the world are living day to day.
There are very smart people dedicated to analyze social behavior, people like me that have a specialization in Sociology, just they have more time in their hands and have been able to
- “Majority illusion”
- When people are convinced that what is common among their friends and relatives, co-workers, sports club, etc. is more common than it actually is in the rest of the world, they enter this amazing zone.
- Constant visitors and some permanent residents here are Presidents, Prime Ministers, CEO’s and a lot of those that fall into the famous Marie-Antoinette (bride of France’s King Louis XVI) “Qu’ils mangent de la brioche” …
- What happen in the augmented networking capacity that the WEB has brought is that this illusion is causing even more people, to reach wrong conclusions about how common a behavior is, leading them to accept as a norm a behavior that is globally rare.
- This is why a very small amount people can create a big BOOM and send it as a a global issue, bu also it also helps to understand why observations and inferences individuals make of their peers are often incorrect.
- “False Consensus”
- The “False Consensus” effect arises when individuals overestimate the prevalence of their own features in the population, believing their type to be more common. Thus, Democrats believe that most people are also Democrats, while Republicans think that the majority are Republican.
- “Pluralistic Ignorance” is another social perception bias. This effect arises in situations when individuals incorrectly believe that a majority believes something or accept as absolute rules that themselves do not share.
This America seems to apply to everything.. that is why we can have fake news, fake friends, fake personas, fake everything and they will be believed and followed..